Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Day of Love!!!

Yet another Valentines Day comes by and a look all around definitely makes "Love in the air" a truly literal statement! These days, Valentine's Day is celebrated openly....like Amitabh Bachhan says in the movie..."Befikr...Bheshakh...Bindaas...."



However, when I was in my teens, it was still not all that popular a celebration. Neither was it an accepted one in the conservative towns, one of which I come from. So...you had to get creative for Valentine's Day. Here are some of the ideas I have tried.

When my husband and I were best friends, we decided that we will celebrate Valentine's Day as friends. Well, why not! Romantic love is not the only kind of love. However, there was a glitch in the plan. He would be gone on Valentine's Day as he was travelling to a different city with his town, and I was stuck at home. That didn't stop us from deciding on the spot to meet (the corridor and open space adjacent to the institute we studied at), costume (white and jeans for him, pale yellow salwar to celebrate friendship for me) and time (12:00 am sharp!) All planned, we had decided to meet not in person, but in imagination!

 Yeah, cheesy, weird, crazy even....but then thats what you are when you've just turned seventeen. So, when he was travelling in a bus and I was reading in my room, we looked out our windows and imagined ourselves meeting one another at the spot planned on, in the dress we planned on, at the time we planned on. Kind of inception-esque but all in all a crazy idea. Also, good fun in case you're short on money and doesnt really care for propah gifts. He did get me a bracelet he had made himself...and I wore it a good two times before it snapped into pieces. L

When we did move from friends to lovers, and then husband and wife....we started celebrating V-day a little more traditionally. On one such V-day, I decided to surprise my husband by coming home early and get a head start on the celebration. (I worked during evening hours). I reached home at 12:00 AM on Feb 14th. My husband had gone to bed which was quite unusual because he is usually a late sleeper. I will admit; it did leave me a little disappointed. No hugs, no wishes, no nothing!!! I dumped my bag and walked to the fridge to hunt for something to eat as the usual routine was. In the fridge, there lay a chocolate along with a long stalked red rose with a note attached to it. It read "Happy Valentine's Day" and instructed me to go change my clothes and check in hamper. I did as the note said and there lay another rose with yet another instruction and a red kurta. The instruction asked me to switch on the TV and relax for a bit.  Of course, there was another rose and a gift waiting for me, and this way, the house had multiple little notes along with roses that took meon a treasure hunt through the house. It was fun and will always remain a memorable day for me.

On one such occassions, my gift to him was a book of handmade gift certificates which allowed him full control of the remote control for a day, mutiple tickets to having boys nights out, days off household chores, romantic home cooked dinner, neck and head massages..so on and so forth. It was one of the cheesiest ideas I had ever tried but it also made me happy that I had made something myself for him.

This Valentine's Day, the idea I have been considering is decorating the house with lots and lots of helium and normal balloons. Lots of helium balloons with lots of tiny gifts tied to the strings that would allow him to walk around, pull down the balloons and pick out gifts one by one. I got this idea from the scene in Patch Adams where Robin Williams reads poetry for his girlfriend in a room full of balloons. Hopefully, it will be the same.

Enjoy you V-Day, everyone. On that note, signing off for now as there are balloons to be purchased and blown.

Ciao
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This blog was written as I am participating in the #SoundOfLove activity atBlogAdda in association with Bluestone


No comments:

Post a Comment

You love me, You hate me, You can't stand me? Go on and tell me...drop me a line....