Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My First Bowl of Gnocchi

Dear God,

It was a day off for me... and since my Prince Charming had to go to office, I didnt have much choice except for spending the day alone at home... I had already made a To-Do List for myself, but then was too lazy to follow it through...and so in its place, decided to try out making gnocchi... If only I knew what I was signing up myself for...!
I followed this recipe: http://www.ehow.com/how_5739058_make-homemade-gnocchi-_from-scratch_.html

 and it looked simple enough... and being the illiterate among cooks, I decided to try it out.It did seem easy enough...

The first step was to boil the potatoes and mash them.... Not hard at all right? Wrong.... the potatoes refused to be mashed and so I had to use a blender, which made them potatoes into a gooey stuff that just wouldn't come off from the jar.... The potatoes definitely had a mind of their own...
In my desperation to get this sticky stuff out of the jar, I used a spoon, a wooden ladel and even tried shaking it out of the jar, but when nothing helped, I cracked an egg into the blender and beat it well... so there was the semi liquid stuff that I finally managed to scoop out of the blender...
Then...following the instructions, I tipped the flour in....but since I didn't have a measuring cup, used a coffee mug instead... I made the mistake of dipping in my hand into the bowl to try and mix the stuff.... in five minutes, I had my hands covered in this gooey stuff that wouldn't let go off my hands... I tried adding one more egg to see if that helped, but nope....! Once I had shaken the mess off my hand, and into the bowl, on to the walls and stove, I decided it was time to add more flour so that this thing would start resembling dough... I kept tipping in flour until it finally started shaping up into a ball of dough.... consistency more like that of play dough though... and finally, when I felt that I could touch it without getting my hand covered in sticky dough... decided to get on with the next step..Which was kneading the dough, roll into a sausage like roll and cut it into pieces and cooking it.... But I got to tell you that if you ever decide to make gnocchi, know this much.... by the end of the kneading session, you will be the proud owner of well toned arms and a strained back...
I wouldn't be able to tell how happy I was with the result... the gnocchi resembled the pictures I had seen online, and everything seemed to be perfect... I was a cook after all... but this misunderstanding lasted only until i put the first piece into my mouth...
It tasted rubbery and chewing through it gave me a pain in the jaw.... But then, not the one to be defeated by some flour and  potatoes, here I am, sitting with my first bowl of gnocchi... trying to get through with it....So, till the time I chew my way through my gnocchi,

Signing off...

The Non-Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment

You love me, You hate me, You can't stand me? Go on and tell me...drop me a line....